Search This Blog

Friday, June 15, 2012

All Roads Lead to Rome

 If it is still true that all roads lead to Rome, then these roads are full of fast drivers, traffic, motorcycles between lanes, and are laid out so illogically that I never know where we are. Luckily, we have a tour guide for that!
 After almost 24 hours of travelling, this beautiful city was a nice visual break for our eyes, which had been mostly focused on passing clouds. On our two plane trips, I was able to catch up with old friends, chat with close friends, and make new ones. Above, Ryan S, Sam H, and I proudly sport our orange and black tour shirts during our layover in Germany.
Alison L, Evan C, Alexis N, and Cassie B. in the Piazza San Pietro

 I have already learnt so many interesting things about Italian culture. For instance, a “bar” does not serve alcohol in Rome. In fact, “bars” are in and out type coffee houses. Also, pizza can be bought “by the meter” and sold based on the weight of the finished product. I am excited to see what real Italian pizza tastes like!
 During the short amount of time we could walk around the Piazza San Pietro I could not help but be swept away by a calm feeling. It was just an incredibly peaceful place. I am very excited to return and visit the Vatican.



We finished our day with a hearty Italian meal, including pasta, salad, meat, and dessert. Though I wonder if I will ever need to eat again (and hate to end on a cliché): when in Rome!