Search This Blog

Friday, June 22, 2012

Home Away From Home

As we enter the last few days before our return, I'm really beginning to appreciate the many amazing experiences I've had on this trip. Of course I miss the family and friends I've left behind, and this busy schedule is starting to wear me out a little, but for all that, I can honestly say that I don't want to go home. At least, not yet! It's so beautiful here, and we've seen some pretty incredible things on our European journey - ruins and castles and so much more.

The biggest reason that I'm not ready to leave, though, is my family. Rather than just some people I'm staying with for a little while, I really think of them as my family after spending this week with them. For example, instead of Mr. and Mrs. Dinkel, I've started to refer to them as "my German mom and dad." They are as good to me as my own parents - and in some ways, they are very similar to my mom and dad back home. It's so nice to feel so comfortable with them - I can really talk to them, ask for what I need, do my own dishes even when they say I don't have to, and tease my German dad when he loses again at the card games we play (something I always do at home!) I feel so lucky to have a family like them.

Even better, I really think they consider me part of their family, too. At least one of my German parents has been at all of my concerts, and they are always quick to congratulate me afterwards. They sound sincerely proud of me, and I can't even tell them how much I appreciate that. They're also willing to help Kyla S. and myself in any way they can - they spontaneously offered to take us shopping tomorrow after we mentioned not having bought many souvenirs. And I've only just today figured out where to put my empty water bottles, because my German mom has insisted on emptying my lunch all week. (Although I suppose I could get used to that.)

My growing relationship with a family half across the world from my home really shows what wonderful things are possible through music. Being a part of the band brought me here; now it's allowed me to form connections with people I never would have met otherwise, and never would have thought similar to myself. It's incredible to realize that, deep down, we are all very much the same. I guess what I'm trying to say is, it doesn't matter how far you are from home - wherever you have people that love you, that's where your family is, and I will be very sad to leave my German one behind.