Search This Blog

Monday, June 25, 2012

The Melancholy End to My Triple German Life


Alas, I had very little time to blog while in Germany. This does not mean I have any less to say. Actually, I was just so busy juggling the best experience in my life up until now. It was a bit of a juggle just because, in some ways, the tour brought three different lives out of what was so simple before. I love this. I had the chance to embrace three different parts of myself.

First, there was “Tour Me.” “Tour Me” made a ridiculous number of friends. This person saw amazing places, and learned a lot about the tourist places we saw in Europe.
Ryan S, Sam H, and Alexis N. stared down at the mote of the caste in Heidelberg, with the amazing landscape farther in front.
I should definitely mention my pride at being mistaken for German while shopping in downtown Beitigheim. (I’m holding up some makeup that was on sale, which was an item I had forgotten back in the U.S.)
Second, there was “Downers Family Me.” “Downers Family Me” tried to skype my parents every night and stay in touch. This was a difficult task, but I think I did okay. Plus, “Downers Family Me” was always souvenir shopping.

Last, but not least, I lived “German Family Me” every night. In saving the best for last, I have to say how much I have come to love the German people. We were completely welcomed here, and it is almost like home. My hosts, the Schanz family, have treated me as a member of their family. There is no way I could ever thank them enough for that. I came to this country, already homesick and a little scared, but immediately they took me in. This is an unimaginable relief.
Thomas, Matthias, Alex, and Sabine Schanz wore their basketball themed gifts from my mom as soon as they saw them, even though the Euro Cup was on TV.
Here I am in Stuttgart with Sabine and Thomas, who showed me around on my very first day in Germany.

Really, the thing that made this trip a once in a lifetime experience for me has been my host family. I am not able to express the way I feel about these people. They made me feel like I am one of their own. Though I spent all day touring, I wanted to spend every night talking to them.
The Bietigheim-Bissigen residents gave us all so many priceless gifts. The first is a window into their culture. I have learned so much in my time here about the similarities and differences between the US and Germany. The second is the warm welcome into their homes and lives. I feel so much gratitude towards my host family for this. Third, they gave us a standing ovation. After our concerts, their applause was amazing. The sight of my host father, Thomas, taking pictures of me from the audience and the sound of cheers from the crowd… I almost started crying with joy. It means so much to me that a crowd of people I don’t know, who barely speak my language, and live so far away gave us that kind of applause. I love these people with all my heart, and I will miss them so much. The only thing I can say to them is danke schön.  Ich liebe Sie.